about a pig

30 Nov

I just lured you in with a cat-photo. This is a trick, beware dear friends! For the last week or two I have been trying to decide if, and how I can share my recent experience that I first blogged about two weeks ago. I mentioned that I had the opportunity to watch a chef break down a whole pig in his restaurant, and last week I had the chance to go watch. I have been trying to figure out how to share this experience, without horrifying some of my possibly more delicate readers.

I took photos, asked questions, and have since written about the experience, all of which is research material for my thesis. I want to share my learning experiences, but I don’t want to alienate anyone either. I know the idea seems frightening, but I also know how important it is to understand our food system. The experience wasn’t scary, or gross, it was really quiet interesting, but I know some of you may not share this interest or opinion. Others have expressed interest and even excitement about the whole thing too. You’re a mixed bag, readers! What to do internet, what to do?

I am trying to calm those worried ones out there with these devastatingly cute cat photos. I am biased yes, but I know this trick works. Do I share the photos? Do I share the story? If I avoid the topic, where else do I share the story besides school? Grad school is so limited in some ways, because most of what we talk about and stress about and get excited about is some really theoretical meta craziness, which is hard to translate to things like breezy blog posts and real conversations with non-grad students.

This is not pork-belly

Breaking down a pig is a very physical, very skilled job, and it is something that very few people have any connection with anymore. We might eat meat, but most of us don’t want to look at it, or talk about it, unless it is wrapped in plastic and cut into a familiar shape. I could go all breaking-down-boundaries with radical-liberal-hippie-talk, but thats not even what I am interested in. If my thesis is about trying to help others re-value self-reliance skills like cooking, baking, and even butchering, how do I do it without scaring the crap out of people?

I think I may take more time to deliberate on this issue, but in the meantime, if you have some thoughts on my internal debate here, please share. For now I’ll share a guest pass to the set of photos I took, which are currently set to private on my flickr: http://flickr.com/gp/mipiacekate/PTK11t

18 Responses to “about a pig”

1. Kirsten November 30, 2010 at 7:35 PM #

It's a really good topic. I'm looking at your guest pass for now, but would like to read more about it all too. Funny, right now, Craig is reading a book called "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer (Everything Is Illuminated…never read it:/) which breaks it all down and makes it pretty disheartening, and I'm reading "The Vegetarian Myth" by Lierre Keith, which is on the opposite end of the spectrum, coming from a woman who said to be a vegan for a long time. Anyway…I really appreciate you creating a place to talk about it.

2. Kirsten November 30, 2010 at 7:35 PM #

3. Mi Piace Kate Design November 30, 2010 at 7:36 PM #

I am hoping to read "eating animals" over break in the next few weeks- and I am glad you want to talk!!

4. Mi Piace Kate Design November 30, 2010 at 7:36 PM #

5. Kirsten November 30, 2010 at 7:41 PM #

Yeah. The next step would be watching the pig get killed. At "farm school" some people went to a home-slaughtering, with the intentions of wanting to take responsibility for everything, etc., that went a-rye. They missed the correct location on the pigs head twice. But still somewhat got it. :/

6. Kirsten November 30, 2010 at 7:41 PM #

7. Kirsten November 30, 2010 at 7:42 PM #

P.S. I thought you would be onto Eating Animals!

8. Kirsten November 30, 2010 at 7:42 PM #

P.S. I thought you would be onto Eating Animals!

9. Mi Piace Kate Design November 30, 2010 at 7:42 PM #

Oh, wow, really? do you think some of those people would be up to talk to me about their experience? send me an email! or give them my email!

10. Mi Piace Kate Design November 30, 2010 at 7:42 PM #

11. Kirsten November 30, 2010 at 7:43 PM #

Yes! Definitely! i'll get in touch with them.

12. Kirsten November 30, 2010 at 7:43 PM #

Yes! Definitely! i'll get in touch with them.

13. Kirsten December 1, 2010 at 12:14 AM #

P.P.S. I like your slippers. Did you make them?

14. Kirsten December 1, 2010 at 12:14 AM #

P.P.S. I like your slippers. Did you make them?

15. Mi Piace Kate Design December 1, 2010 at 12:26 AM #

I wish! The slippers are from Muji!

16. Mi Piace Kate Design December 1, 2010 at 12:26 AM #

I wish! The slippers are from Muji!

17. Kirsten December 3, 2010 at 6:54 AM #

Just this one time…i'll let it slide… just kidding :)

18. Kirsten December 3, 2010 at 6:54 AM #

Just this one time…i'll let it slide… just kidding :)

Comments are closed.